Garrison commanders play an important role in the Rise of Kingdoms. Without any solid garrison commanders, you won’t be able to defend yourself against powerful enemies. Therefore, it is important that you know which are the best garrison commanders to invest in.
In this guide, I am going to share the top 8 best garrison commanders to power level right now in Rise of Kingdoms. These garrison commanders are the best of all due to their superior defense value and combat skill set.
Stick around with us to learn more about each garrison-based commander to maximize your roster for optimal gaming experience.
Which Troops to Use for Garrison Commanders?
Always match your commander’s troop specialization for best combat performance. Since the majority of garrison commanders are infantry-based there’s a very limited selection for archer troops and cavalry troops type.
Ideally to defend your city as best as you can, you will want to pair a garrison-based infantry commander with a garrison-based archer commander to cover each other’s weakness but with no bonuses over enemy infantry.
In Rise of Kingdoms, the defenders have a massive advantage because their troops do not get killed on the battlefield. They go straight to the hospitals if they get injured. Though, for the attackers, they will risk getting their troops killed on the battlefield which makes the whole battle costlier for them.
Best Garrison Commanders in ROK
One of the best garrison commanders in Rise of Kingdoms is Richard I. He is an extremely tanky commander that can soak pretty much the majority of the damage. His active skill heals his army for 1,400 health points every time and reduces up to 5 targets’ damage by 30%.
Infantry troops under his leadership get a 15% bonus to both attack and defense. Not only that, when he is serving as the garrison commander, your watchtower takes 30% less damage. Which helps a lot and extends the duration of defending your city against the enemy invaders. Whenever you need a solid commander to hold the front line, Richard I is the best.
Richard I Summary:
- Heals his army for 1,400 health points each time he activates active skill.
- Reduces up to 5 targets’ damage by 30% and march speed by 15% in a fan-shaped area.
- Reduces damage taken by 15%.
- Increases counterattack damage by 10%.
- Increases both Infantry defense and attack bonus by 15%.
- Increases healing received by 30%.
- Reduces watchtower damage taken by 30% when serving as garrison commander.
- Further reduces damage taken by 5% and increases infantry attack vs cavalry by 2%.
- Every 10 seconds, apply 50% march speed reduction on the target.
Why Richard I is the Best Garrison Commander?
- One of the best infantry commander in the game.
- Extremely tanky.
- Amazing self-healing ability.
- Can cushion massive blows and hold the frontline easily.
- Hits up to 5 targets, applying damage reduction and march speed.
- Increases amount of healing received, great when partnering with a support commander.
- Best infantry commander for wrangling cavalry commanders.
Personally, Yi Seong-Gye is one of my favorite garrison commanders in Rise of Kingdoms. It feels good to have him in your roster because he is the most feared commander due to insanely high damage. He can hit up to 5 targets and generates rage incredibly fast enough to keep on firing the arrows.
Furthermore, he comes with a passive skill which further increases the active skill damage by 50%. This makes Yi Seong-Gye an incredibly strong and dynamic commander that will pretty much handle any tremendous battles. It’s also nice because he is a natural deterrence to the majority of the battles.
Yi Seong-Gye Summary:
- Deals 1,700 damage to 5 targets in circular-shaped area.
- 10% chance to restore 100 rage.
- 10% chance to increase archer attack by 100% for the next 3 seconds.
- Increase attack of garrison troops and watchtower by 5%.
- Increases active skill damage by 50%.
Why Yi Seong-Gye is the Best Garrison Commander?
- Very powerful commander, both as defender and offender.
- Can deal insane amount of damage with his active skill thanks to 50% damage increase.
- Rapid rage generation.
- Buffs his archer troops attack by 100%.
- A winning commander.
Another solid garrison commander that all players definitely should invest in leveling up is Charles Martel. He is similar to Richard I expect Charles to have built-in shield ability which is designed to absorb incoming damage. While he gives a flat 15% bonus to both infantry defense and attack, he is well equipped with a strong counterattack damage skill which is increased by an additional 30%.
When you expertise his final skill, the infantry troops get an extra 20% bonus to defense, health and march speed. Which only further transforms him into a tough garrison commander that’s capable of handling heavy blows with ease. If you have Charles Martel in your roster, be sure to make him your priority.
Charles Martel Summary:
- Absorbs 1,200 damage with shield.
- Increases troops damage by 30% while shield is active.
- Increases infantry attack and defense by 15%.
- Increases watchtower defense and garrison attack by 10%.
- Increases counterattack damage by 30%.
- Increases infantry health, defense and march speed by 20%.
Why Charles Martel is the Best Garrison Commander?
- Can easily soak ton of damage.
- Deals high damage while shield is active.
- Massive permanent bonuses to infantry’s defense, attack, health and march speed.
- Awesome commander for holding the front line.
- Watchtower and garrison troops gets extra love.
If you want to have a greater degree of flexibility to defend your city with various troops. Wu Zetian is a master at commanding a mixed army thanks to her superior leadership capability. She comes with tons of counterattack abilities which proves her to be quite deadly as they deliver tons of damage.
Not just only that, Wu Zetian also heals herself whenever she gets to use her active skill. One of the main reasons why you will want to have her as your garrison commander is because of her passive skill which reduces skill damage taken from the enemies. This is useful when you are fighting against nukers like Genghis Khan and Mehmed II.
Wu Zetian Summary:
- Deals 1,000 damage to target and heals her army for 500 health points.
- Increases damage done by 10% and extra 10% against rallied troops when serving as the garrison commander.
- Increases all troops defense and health by 10% under her command.
- Has a small chance to silence targets for 2 seconds.
- Reduces skill damage taken by 15% and increases defense by 20%
- Increases counterattack damage by 20%.
- Has a 10% chance to instantaneous deal 500 damage upon countering the attacks
Why Wu Zetian is the Best Garrison Commander?
- Extremely formidable defensive commander.
- Silences even the most powerful nukers on the battlefield.
- Amazing self-healing capability.
- Strong self-defense damage skills.
- Bolstered defense which greatly reduces amount of damage taken.
If you are looking for a commander with a massive health pool, then look no further because Constantine I is your pick. All infantry troops under his leadership get a 40% health bonus, which is by far the biggest out of all in Rise of Kingdoms. His active skill also reduces the enemy’s target attack by 40% which is a double-edge sword that minimizes the amount of damage taken.
Constantine I is like a sponge since he doesn’t exactly deal that much damage. But he has an amazing self-healing capability. For instance, if his army strength falls below 50%, then he will heal himself for 15,000 health points. Aside from that, he is the best support commander due to his aura which reduces damage taken by 10% for himself and nearby friendly commanders.
Constantine I Summary:
- Reduces target’s attack by 40%
- Reduces damage taken by 10% for self and nearby friendly allies.
- Increases infantry’s health by 40%.
- Increases garrison and watchtower attack by 10%.
- Heals himself for 15,000 health point once army strength is below 50%.
- Increases troop attack by 15%.
- Increases troop defense by 5%.
Why Constantine I is the Best Garrison Commander?
- Awesome self-healing capability.
- Incredible tanky thanks to huge health pool.
- Friendly buff that reduces damage taken, great for field battles.
- Solid defense, helps mitigates incoming attack.
- Strong garrison and watchtower attack, which makes him an incredible lethal defender.
If you do not have any legendary garrison commanders in your roster yet. Then the next step for you is to start exploring the best epic garrison commanders. Fortunately, they all are free to get and easy to level up. For starters, Eulji Mundeok is a great infantry-specialized commander
He is capable of dealing massive damage due to his active skill and reducing their defense by 30%. Additionally, infantry troops under his leadership get a 15% bonus to both attack and defense. Though, Eulji does have a trick up his sleeve and in fact his troops have a 10% chance to deal 100% bonus damage. This makes him quite a lethal garrison commander to battle against.
Eulji Mundeok Summary:
- Deals 750 damage with his active skill.
- Reduces enemy defense by 30%.
- Increases garrison defense by 5% while serving as the garrison commander.
- Infantry attack and defense increases by 15%.
- Has a 10% chance to deal 100% additional damage.
Why Eulji Mundeok is the Best Garrison Commander?
- Super easy to level up.
- Easy to get started if you are playing as Korea.
- Hard hitting commander.
- Good defense value.
One of the best epic garrison commanders is Sun Tzu. You definitely will want to have him in your roster for a good number of reasons. First of all, he is a solid garrison commander thanks to his active skill which hits up to 5 targets for 1,000 damage each. Furthermore, he has a passive skill which increases the damage of active skill by an extra 20%. This means Sun Tzu can easily pair with any high-damaging commanders like Yi Seong-Gye.
You also can play Sun Tzu on the battlefield if you prefer to because he is so good due to his active skill. Out of all these garrison commanders, Sun Tzu is the most flexible commander you will ever play with.
Sun Tzu Summary:
- Hits up to 5 targets in a fan-shaped area damage.
- Increases active skill damage by 20%.
- Pairs well with nukers.
- Reduces enemy damage in field battles by 10%.
- Increases Infantry Health by 10%.
Why Sun Tzu is the Best Garrison Commander?
- Very tanky.
- Great for nuking.
- Provides extra damage.
- Fast rage generation.
- Awesome support commander.
Lastly, Kusunoki Masashige is another garrison commander that you should also consider investing in. He is capable of hitting up to 3 targets along with a small chance to do extra damage with his troops. He isn’t exactly a strong garrison commander compared to the other two epic commanders above but he is great for starters due to sustained damage.
Archers under his leadership get 15% increased attack and defense. When you have Kusunoki as the garrison commander, then his counterattack damage increases by 7% In conclusion, he is a good, simple and great combatant commander both on the field and defending your city.
Kusunoki Masashige Summary:
- Deals damage up to 3 targets.
- Increases counterattack damage by 7% while serving as garrison commander.
- Increases archer attack by 15%.
- Increases archer defense by 15%.
- Small chance for troops to deal extra 450 damage per second.
Why Kusunoki Masashige is the Best Commander?
- Sustained damage and can hit multiple targets.
- Great defender thanks to increased counterattack damage bonus.
- Always have a chance to deal additional damage with troops.
- Boosts archer troops’ combat capabilities.
- Good combatant commander on the battlefield.
Best Garrison Commanders: Conclusion
That’s all Governors! I hope you find our top best garrison commanders guide for beginners helpful and informative. If you have any questions about these garrison commanders in Rise of Kingdoms, feel free to drop a comment below.
Lastly, if you want to have a smooth and optimal gaming experience. I recommend you to play Rise of Kingdoms on PC. It’s faster, smoother and gives you more flexibility to play your favorite game. You also can read my top reasons why I recommend players to play Rise of Kingdoms on PC.
Until then, happy ruling Governors and stay tuned for more Rise of Kingdoms news and updates at House of Kingdoms!