1. Harald Sigurdsson
The most strongest KvK commander in Rise of Kingdoms is Harald Sigurdsson. He comes with a wide array of damage boosters that only makes him stronger the more enemies he fights against. His active skill deals quite a serious amount of damage towards one target but the damage increases as he fights against 3 enemies.
In addition to that, he is equipped with a powerful counterattack that does 20% increased damage. However, if he is fighting against 10 or more enemies, then his counterattack damage is increased to 40%. If you are looking for a powerful commander that will absolutely crush in massive PvP battles, Harald Sigurdsson is awesome legendary commander to have.
For best combat performance, I highly recommend pair Harald Sigurdsson with Sun Tzu, Guan Yu and even Alexander the Great. While Harald Sigurdsson is already a powerful offensive commander, you do need to keep an eye on his defense as it becomes weaker over the time the longer he goes into rampage.
Harald Sigurdsson Summary:
- Deals 1,200 damage towards an enemy.
- Deals 1,500 damage toward enemies if surrounded.
- Infantry troops damage increased by 20% for 2 seconds after using active skill.
- Infantry attack increased by 10% while attacking enemy cities and strongholds.
- Damage taken reduced by 30% while attacking enemy cities and strongholds.
- Infantry attack increased by 30% and march speed increased by 10%.
- Infantry attack increased by 5% and defense decreased by 5% per stack up to 15 times (75% increased damage and 75% decreased defense).
- 20% chance to trigger active skill for free at no additional rage cost.
- Counterattack damage increased by 20% up to a maximum 40% increase if surrounded by 10 or more enemy armies.
Why Harald Sigurdsson the Best Infantry Commander?
- Incredibly strong infantry commander with ton of damage boosters.
- Awesome for raiding enemy cities.
- Great PvP commander, especially in KvK battles.
- Harald Sigurdsson is one of the fewest commanders that gets stronger the more surrounded he becomes.
- Packed with awesome counterattack ability for increased damage.
Aethelflaed ranks as one of the best KvK commanders for F2P players. She is incredibly easy to get via Expedition Store and comes with several powerful skills, which includes reducing enemy attack, defense and health by 30%.
Additionally, she takes 20% less damage from counterattack and reduces their march speed by 30%. She has a small chance to activate it while actively attacking the enemy targets.
It is no wonder why she will easily excel in open-field battlefield thanks to her wide AoE active skill, which hits up to 5 targets in a fan-shaped. Aethelflaed is a preferred commander for F2P and doesn’t require too much time or resources to obtain her.
- Hits up to 5 targets in a fan-shaped area damage.
- Skilled barbarian hunter.
- Increases experience gained by 35%
- Increases damage done to barbarians by 35%.
- Increases damage by 20% with 3 or more troop types.
- Reduces enemy targets’ attack, defense and health by 30%.
- Deals extra 20% damage to slowed targets.
Why Aethelflaed is the Best KvK Commander?
- Best free legendary commander.
- Comes with powerful active skill that hits multiple targets.
- Easy to level up thanks to bonus experience gain.
- Excellent for barbarian farming.
- Very flexible, can work with any troops.
3. Hannibal Barca
If you are looking for a solid commander that is capable of dishing out heavy blows and commanding a large mixed army with high damage output. Hannibal Barca easily fit this role.
His active skill deals direct damage and an additional damage on the next turn upwards to three targets. Plus he reduces their damage and defense by 25%.
Whenever Hannibal Barca leads 3 or more troop types, he gains a 10% damage bonus. Furthermore, if he is battling outside of alliance territory, his damage gets further increased by 15%.
He is truly a beast on the battlefield with all these insane damage modifiers.
Hannibal Barca Summary:
- Deals 400 damage to single target then an additional 300 damage to 3 targets.
- Reduces enemy targets defense and damage by 25% for 3 seconds.
- Increases damage by 10% when commanding 3 or more troops type.
- Has 10% chance to heal himself for 1,000 when attacking cities.
- Increases troop capacity by 10%.
- When battling outside of alliance territory, increase damage of all troops by 15%.
Why Hannibal Barca is the Best KvK Commander?
- Powerful damage and defense reduction debuff.
- Best commander for attacking enemy cities due to insane self-healing capabilities.
- Extremely flexible, can work with any troops.
- Can command large army size.
- Perfect conqueror commander due to 15% attack bonus outside of alliance territory.
4. Mehmed II
Mehmed II becomes available once your kingdom turns 120 days old. Although, he is one of the best KvK commanders in the game, mainly because of how good his active skill and passive skills really are.
He is equipped with some of the best passive skills which increases the damage of active skill, and the damage that troops deal. If you are commanding Mehmed II to battle against enemy garrisons and plunder their resources, this legendary commander will make quick work out of them.
So, if you are looking for a solid commander that can dish heavy blows towards multiple targets with ease, Mehmed II is your best option. Alternatively, you can roll with Baibars as he has a similar setup to Mehmed II and do slow down enemy targets thanks to Sandstorm.
Mehmed II Summary:
- Deals 1,350 damage to 5 targets with his active skill.
- Does extra 800 damage to cities and garrisons with his active skill.
- Troops’ attack increased by 20%.
- Active skill damage increased by 20%.
- Has 10% chance to deal 1,000 damage when attacking cities.
- Increases troop capacity and rallied troop capacity by 10%.
- Has 50% chance to trigger a second burst for 500 damage when attacking cities.
Why Mehmed II is the Best KvK Commander?
- High damage with his active skill.
- Powerful city attacker thanks to increased skill damage and chance to trigger extra damage.
- Expands troops army size, allowing more health, defense and attack.
- Incredible flexible, can work with any troop types.
- Great at the battlefield.
5. Genghis Khan
Just like Mehmed II, Genghis Khan only can be unlocked after your kingdom turns 120 days old. Any player who wants a powerful nuker that can handle a single target quickly will want to have Genghis Khan.
He deals massive damage and has a 30% chance to activate his active skill for free at no additional cost to his rage. Genghis Khan is great for blowing past the enemy ranks with minimal effort.
Plus, if you want to be able to move around on the battlefield quickly, Genghis Khan focuses on cavalry and comes with a number of powerful bonuses that improve their health, attack and defense value as well as march speed. He is one of the fastest KvK commanders with massive single-target direct damage.
Genghis Khan Summary:
- Deals 1,700 damage with his active skill.
- Has a 30% chance to trigger his active skill instantaneously at no additional rage cost.
- Rage requirement reduced by 100 from 950 to 850.
- Cavalry march speed increased by 15%.
- Damage increased by 30% when army’s strength is more than 70%.
- Skill damage increased by 30% and restores 25 rage when army strength is below 50%.
Why Genghis Khan is the Best KvK Commander?
- Superior attacking commander with a super fast rage generation.
- Delivers powerful active skill that does ton of damage.
- Has a chance to use his active skill back to back.
- Improves cavalry troops’ march speed by 15%, allowing his army to move around on the map quickly.
- Deals more damage when above 70%, allowing Genghis Khan to make a quick work out of your enemies.
- His active skill becomes extremely valuable when his army strength falls below 50%.
6. Yi Seong-Gye
Don’t underestimate Yi Seong-Gye for the fact that he is able to build his rage at neck-breaking speed thanks to his passive skills. Every time he attacks, he has a small chance to generate 100 rage. Plus his archers also have a chance to increase damage by 100%.
Despite the fact that he is suitable for garrison, his active skill deals massive damage and does in a circular area. One of the main advantages for playing this legendary commander is the 50% damage bonus to active skill.
Pair Yi Seong-Gye with any nukers, and they will just blow past them easily. An ultimate KvK commander who will decimate any enemy commanders on the battlefield.
Yi Seong-Gye Summary:
- Deals 1,700 damage to 5 targets in circular-shaped area.
- 10% chance to restore 100 rage.
- 10% chance to increase archer attack by 100% for the next 3 seconds.
- Increase attack of garrison troops and watchtower by 5%.
- Increases active skill damage by 50%.
Why Yi Seong-Gye is the Best KvK Commander?
- Very powerful commander, both as defender and offender.
- Can deal insane amount of damage with his active skill thanks to 50% damage increase.
- Rapid rage generation.
- Buffs his archer troops attack by 100%.
- A winning commander.
Saladin is an excellent commander at harassing enemy forces thanks to his superior mobility and powerful direct damage factor. His active skill reduces their marching speed and healing effects by 50% for 5 seconds.
Just like other legendary commanders with cavalry specializations, Saladin is a very fast commander who will be able to reach their targets in a matter of seconds. Unlike other commanders, Saladin can keep their targets on lock-down and execute them to maximize the enemy’s losses.
- Deals massive damage up to 1,700 each time he activates his active skill.
- Reduces enemy target’s march speed and healing effect by 50%.
- Cavalry attack and defense increased by 20%.
- Cavalry march speed by 5%.
- Skill damage taken reduced by 30%.
- Counterattack damage taken reduced by 20%.
- Damage increased vs. cities by 15%.
Why Saladin is the Best KvK Commander?
- Powerful conqueror with superior zone of control.
- Great attacker that will make a quick work out of razing your enemies to the ground.
- Awesome counter to nuking garrison commanders out of cities.
- Diminishes healing effects, which makes him ideal choice against Richard I & Constantine I.
- Improves march speed, allowing Saladin to mobilize on the map quickly.
- Cavalry troops gets 20% attack and defense bonus, making them stronger.
8. Alexander the Great
A legendary commander that’s favorite of mine is Alexander the Great. His active skill grants a shield that absorbs incoming attacks and also gives a small shield to nearby friendly commander. Though, what makes Alexander the Great a very good legendary commander is the ability to dish out major blows to enemies with leading the charge passive skill.
This legendary commander is able to play on the battlefield dynamically by increasing the attack while shield is down and increasing defense when the shield is up. On the map, infantry gains 30% attack and march speed bonus which makes Alexander the Great a highly desired commander.
Alexander the Great Summary:
- Forms a shield that absorbs 1,200 damage for 4 seconds.
- Forms a shield for nearby friendly army that absorbs 600 damage for 2 seconds.
- Increases damage taken for 3 nearby enemy targets by 30% for 4 seconds.
- Has 10% chance to deal 1,700 damage as well as reducing target’s healing effect by 30%.
- Increases infantry attack and march speed by 30% while on the map.
- Attack increased by 40% while shield is down.
- Defense increased by 30% when shield is up.
Why Alexander the Great is the Best Infantry Commander?
- Amazing at absorbing ton of incoming attacks.
- Balanced defense and attack, making him a great field commander.
- Can dish out serious amount of damage and weaken their healing effectiveness.
- Moves around on the battlefield quite fast thanks to improved march speed.
- Dynamic gameplay that tailors to his advantage, does more damage when shield is down and increases defense when it is up.
One of the best KvK commanders in the game is Hermann due to his ability to silence enemy commanders. He is considered one of the powerful silencers thanks to his lightning fast rage generation and the ability to prevent nukers from doing any significant damage.
To maximize Hermann combat capabilities for a near-full silence, you can pair him with Boudica.
- Deals massive damage towards single target.
- Silences enemy target for 2 seconds.
- Reduces enemy target’s rage by 100 per active skill hit.
- Increases archer attack and march speed by 10%.
- Increases garrison and watchtower attack by 7%.
- Has 10% chance to generate extra 100 rage.
- Has 10% chance to deal 10% extra damage.
Why Hermann is the Best KvK Commander?
- Great for stopping nukers from using their active skills.
- Incredible fast rage generation.
- Hard hitter.
- Excellent defender.
- Good mobility.
If you don’t have Mehmed II in your roster yet, Baibars is one of the best KvK commanders and he is available at the start of the game if you play as Arabia. He is cavalry-focused which means he is packed with powerful offensive capabilities and speed.
One of the main advantages for playing Baibars on the battlefield is due to his active skill which deals moderate amounts of direct damage upwards to 5 targets and slows them down.
If you pair him with other splash damage commanders like Aethelflaed, then you can build a good AoE pair to do massive damage against multiple targets.
- Deals 1,000 damage to each target, up to 5 targets and slows them down by 50% for 2 seconds.
- Increases cavalry attack by 20%.
- Reduces enemy garrison attack and defense by 7% when attacking cities.
- Increases march speed by 50% upon leaving the battle for the next 10 seconds.
- Heals himself for 200 health points upon leaving the battle.
Why Baibars is the Best KvK Commander?
- Awesome commander with excellent zone of control.
- Deals ton of damage, up to 5 targets doing 1,000 damage.
- Weakens enemy garrison attack and defense by 7%.
- Nice self-healing capability.
- Gives a flat 20% cavalry attack bonus.
11. Osman I
Osman I is a solid KvK commander and one of the starting choices for players who play as Ottomans. He is a strong alternative option to Mehmed II with similar skill set and abilities. Thanks to his active skill, he can dish out heavy direct damage.
In addition to that, one of his passive skills expands the troop capacity. Which means he can bring more troops and deal even more damage to cause enemy forces to suffer more casualties. A simple, yet easy commander to start with in KvK battles.
Julius Caesar and Scipio Africanus both are also good choices with similar skill sets to Osman I, except they are good at debuffing your enemy targets and buffing your troops to maximize troops’ damage.
Osman I Summary:
- Deals 1,100 damage with his active skill.
- Increases attack by 15% after attacking a city for more than 30 seconds.
- Deals 400 extra damage after using active skill on the next turn.
- Increases troop capacity by 10%.
Why Osman I is the Best KvK Commander?
- High damage commander.
- Great at destroying enemy cities.
- Amazing for PvP battles like Sunset Canyon & Ark of Osiris.
- Comes with extra troops to deal more damage.
- Does extra damage with his active skill every second turns.
Another F2P KvK commander is Pelagius who can be obtained if you pick Spain and via chests. He excels at speed and offense capabilities. When he uses his active skill, a portion of rage is restored. Plus, if you use the rage generation talent build, he will be able to use his active skill often which turns into higher damage output.
Not to forget to mention that his troops also have a small chance to activate healing for 400 per second. Which really helps out a lot with mitigating the damage from the opposing forces.
- Deals 300 damage and additional 300 damage over 2 turns.
- Restore 100 rage per active skill trigger.
- Increases cavalry attack and defense by 15%.
- Increases garrison and watchtower attack by 7%.
- Has a 10% chance to self-heal for 450 health points.
Why Pelagius is the Best KvK Commander?
- Flexible commander.
- Amazing self-healing capability.
- Fast and hard-hitting commander, especially with cavalry troops.
- Boosts both defense and attack passively.
- Fast rage generation, helps maintain high active skill uptime.
Top 10 Best KvK Commanders: Conclusion
That’s all Governors! I hope you find our top 10 best KvK commanders for F2P useful and informative. If you are new to the game, it will take a while to obtain these legendary commanders. But I can assure you they are the best KvK commanders in the game right now. I also would suggest you to learn how to get Tier 5 troops as fast as you can.
Lastly, if you want to have a smooth and optimal gaming experience. I recommend you to play Rise of Kingdoms on PC. It’s faster, smoother and gives you more flexibility to play your favorite game. You also can read my top reasons why I recommend players to play Rise of Kingdoms on PC.
Until then, happy ruling Governors and stay tuned for more Rise of Kingdoms news and updates at House of Kingdoms!